Summer 2021 Update

Dear beloved parents,

Blessed Lent!  Praying you all are doing well.

We are currently in the process of evaluating whether or not we will be able to have overnight camp on site this summer.  You are an important part of this process.  Thank you so much for reading this email.  

The Archdiocese has put forth very detailed and thoughtful guidelines that will allow us to open our camp, but there are various other factors that need to fall into place before we are able to move forward.  The decision to open is being left to each camping program.  These are the key concerns and considerations:  

  • The camp facility is currently closed.  They will let us know by the beginning of April when they will be able to open up for rental groups. 
  • The state of California will be releasing guidelines for overnight camps by April 1st.  Reviewing those guidelines will be an important step in deciding whether or not we are able to move forward.
  • As you can imagine, we will not be able to open at full capacity.  We also are unsure whether or not we have the funding and the staff to open for one or two weeks.  These are 2 of many reasons why we will only be able to open camp for children ages 13 and up.  We would also like to invite those who missed their last summer of camp in 2020 to register as campers.  Our teenagers only have so many years left of camp and we feel that we should prioritize the spots we have for them. Thank you for your understanding.  
  • If you have campers ages 13 and upplease fill out this survey before Friday, April 2nd.  It will be helpful to know how many are willing and able to join us before we move forward with opening registration. 
  • We are unsure of how much scholarship money will be available. We will find out soon.


We, of course, are considering every necessary step and precaution to ensure that opening camp is as low of a risk to everyone as possible.  We have consulted the American Camping Association (ACA) in California, along with multiple medical experts.  Some of the considerations we are working on include:  testing upon arrival, outdoor services and meals, a new infirmary location, and the list goes on.  We also feel strongly that opening camp is needful for the mental, emotional, and spiritual health of our campers and staff.  It is this reality that is driving this evaluation process.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding, as most aspects of the decision are out of our control.  We want this to happen for all of us.  This means that, if camp opens, each of us has to do our part to create a safe, peaceful, and beautiful camping experience.  There will be sacrifices that need to be made in order for camp to be possible.  We ask that everyone who is excited and able to be back at camp this summer is also mindful and mature about accepting these sacrifices.  I also deeply understand that some of you may not feel comfortable or be able to attend.  Each of you has to make the best decision for your family.  Be assured that we will do everything on our end to be thorough and creative in our planning.  

OUR STEPS MOVING FORWARD: 

  • Review the information we receive from the state of California and the camp facility.
  • Review the survey responses from parents of campers who are 13+.
  • Announce our plans for this summer by the first week of April.

We love you and ask for your prayers.  This is a heavy and difficult process...one that we are willing and open to navigating. Thank you for navigating this process with us.  We will keep you updated and informed.  Looking forward to receiving your surveys!

With love in Christ,

Katrina Bitar
Camp Director