St. Nicholas Camping Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Southern California Deanery St. Nicholas Camping Program is to lead young people to an encounter with Jesus Christ through fostering a true experience of Orthodox Christian community. This community will be characterized by:
- Openness and self-giving love
- Each camper's joy, pain, suffering, and questions, are not only welcomed but shared in by staff, counselors, and other campers.
- An environment where brokenness is not feared and wholeness is recognized.
- A staff that ensures that each fellow staff member and camper is seen and loved as they are.
- Aiming to be one inclusive community, staff and campers.
To realize this mission, we will:
- Die to ourselves daily for the sake of the community
- Be willing to repent and forgive
- Aim to be true images of Christ and see each person as an image of Christ
- Live out and teach the Word of God
- Experience God's creation and our role in caring for it.
- Embrace every person's role as an integral part of the community.
- Desire to serve every person's individual needs.
- Prepare to respond with composure and love to any foreseeable or unexpected occurrence that may arise.
- Offer a program in which every aspect is designed as one part of a cohesive experience of Orthodox Christian community.
- Put forth that the purpose of camp's Christian community is retreat for the sake of preparation for everyday Christian life, a life that is not OF the world, but remains IN and FOR the world.